Friday, November 19, 2004

ARTstor developments and debate continue

I'm not blessed with sufficient time (or factual certainty) to give a full-scale update on ARTstor news at the moment. After I've had a chance to do some fact-finding, I'll be sure to post more. In the meantime, I wanted to make sure this blog had links to the current information available relating to ARTstor.

In my previous ARTstor post, I mentioned plans under development at ARTstor for some increased interoperability, at least with respect to searching other collections from the ARTstor interface(s). I encourage anybody who is interested to review the slides from ARTstor CTO Bill Ying's October 26th presentation at the Digital Library Federation's (DLF) Fall meeting. The slides raise a lot of questions about details, but they serve well to outline the direction ARTstor is heading in.

Also, there's a vigorous discussion running on the Visual Resources Association's VRA-L listserv. I learned some things by participating in it. First, there are a lot of different perspectives that shape how people view ARTstor right now: size of institution, existing image collection resources, past experiences in communication with ARTstor, etc. Second, despite what I'd previously thought, I am hardly the most vocal or intense critic of ARTstor's strategy and interactions with the visual resources community.

Both technical and community relations responses are required to achieve greater success. I'm on the outskirts of this particular community, so I tend to focus on the technical side. But I think all the parties involved need better, more productive ways to build a constructive relationship for the future.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a visual resources curator for the art history department of a major university in north carolina. Have been reading comments on artstor, since our main library wants it, and is trying to push us to accept it, over MDID, which is what we want. Nice to read your research into what I see are major problems with artstor. Our library claims that it will be just as costly to purchase and maintain a server for MDID as it would be to purchase and renew artstor on a yearly basis. PHOOEY! your articles have provided me with ammo to fire at the librarians - don't know if they really know what they are getting themselves into. Has anyone mentioned the fact that if an institution does not renew their 3-year contract with artstor - for whatever reason, say the state budget will no longer provide the funds to renew, (common here in NC) - the institution loses everything - even images that they may have contributed to artstor for artstor to serve back to them? BTW, who are you?

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dedicated servers are available for $45.00/month with a full range of php/mysql perl etc software as well as a full control panel. We have excellent experience with Aplus.net

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home